The Apostle John is consumed with the purity of Jesus life. It came down to one thing in John’s mind. It is all about love. Jesus is all about love. That is the essence of the commandments. That is how Jesus lived.
May I live like Jesus. May I mature my love.
“Anyone who claims to be intimate with God ought to live the same kind of life Jesus lived.” ~~Apostle John (1 John 2:6 The Message)
How do we know we are keeping God’s word? Now that is a very reasonable question. God has said so much, it is easy to get overwhelmed.
The answer from the Apostle John (the one whom Jesus loved) is stunningly simple. Do we see God’s love in someone? Then they are keeping God’s word. That is what it comes down to over and over again. Love god. Love everyone else. That is the summation of the word of God.
It is in fact the only way to be certain.
“But the one who keeps God’s word is the person in whom we see God’s mature love. This is the only way to be sure we’re in God.” ~~Apostle John (1 John 2:5 The Message)
We like think we know a lot about love. It doesn’t start with us however. It starts with God. He initiated everything. And He proved His love for us. He gave us a great gift. How stunning. Our identity is based on His love.
It is all done. It is a new plan. His love led to sacrifice that brought us into right standing. How amazing is that?
This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 1 John 4:10
The Apostle John can be direct. I think he learned it from Jesus. No point beating around the bush so to speak.
Jesus was clear. There are 2 commandments that we need to focus on. Love God. Love everyone else. That sums it up and it is pretty easy to remember. If we say we are a Christ (Messiah) follower and don’t do that, we are a liar. We aren’t following Jesus.
May I live, as a Christian, the way Jesus said I should. May there be no doubt about it.
“If someone claims, “I know him well!” but doesn’t keep his commandments, he’s obviously a liar. His life doesn’t match his words.” ~~Apostle John (1 John 2:4 The Message)
- “And be thankful.” ~Apostle Paul ow.ly/ISRw30aR6RC 14 hours ago
- Really? Gabelli Says Atlanta Braves Are Worth $1.63 Billion ow.ly/YzPL30aQcYM 17 hours ago
- "Be cheerful no matter what." ~~Apostle Paul ow.ly/kcbi30aPm4r 19 hours ago
- Seth's Blog: How thin is your ice? ow.ly/xffo30aPm0L 1 day ago
- Boston Rustlers lose 26-3 to Cincinnati (June 4, 1911) ow.ly/5CRE30aOeqd 1 day ago
- “I’m not really religious but very spiritual.” ~Christina Aguilera ow.ly/jEHf30aNgzf 1 day ago
- Silence Is Death: The Generational Case For Free Speech ow.ly/XPgG30aLfCT 2 days ago
- “Know that the LORD is God.” ~King David ow.ly/GA0F30aL4l1 2 days ago
- “I thank God through Jesus for every one of you.” ~Apostle Peter ow.ly/aLvP30aIKey 2 days ago
- “They loved praise from men more than praise from God.” ~Apostle John ow.ly/9VgR30aHPll 3 days ago