Clearly God wants us to be people after his own heart. I read it time and time again. And so I am thinking about this a lot. What does it mean to have a heart that is far (Matthew 15:8) from God? How can I fully commit my heart to our Father?
I am thinking that it has a lot to do with my emotional engagement with God. No matter what, is my innermost desire to please Him, to love Him, to do what He wants? Do I have a passion for Him that won’t stop or go away?
Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. (Deut. 6:5)
Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart. (1 Sam. 16:7)
Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. (Luke 12:34)
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. (Prov. 3:5)
Your word I have treasured in my heart, that I may not sin against You. (Ps. 119:11 NASB)
These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. (Matt 15:8)
For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him. (2 Chron. 16:9)
Now here is good news. God can’t see our old heart. We have a new one to help to live the way God wants us to.
And even better news. It is a heart that is God-willed. Wow!!!!!
“I’ll pour pure water over you and scrub you clean. I’ll give you a new heart, put a new spirit in you. I’ll remove the stone heart from your body and replace it with a heart that’s God-willed, not self-willed. I’ll put my Spirit in you and make it possible for you to do what I tell you and live by my commands.” ~~God (Ezekiel 36:26-27)
I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws. (Ezek. 36:26–27)
“This we now know: the heart is central. It matters—deeply. When we see with the eyes of the heart, which is to say, when we see mythically, we begin to awaken, and what we discover is that things are not what they seem. We are at war. We must fight for the life God intends for us, which is to say, we must fight for our heart, for it is the wellspring of that life within us.
Standing in the way of the path to life—the way of the heart— is a monstrous barrier. It has stopped far too many pilgrims dead in their tracks for far too long. There is a widespread belief among Christians today that the heart is desperately wicked—even after a person comes to Christ.
It is a crippling belief.
And it is untrue.“
- The Way Of The Wild Heart Manual – John Eldredge (manuals.typepad.com)
- What God Sees When He Sees You (hiking2christ.org)
- Book review : The Sacred Romance: Drawing Closer to the Heart of God by Brent Curtis and John Eldredge (mrthekidd.wordpress.com)
I have seen God do amazing things. I have seen them with my own eyes. He redeemed me. He healed me. The list goes on and on.
They are in my heart. Not only have I seen them but they are imbedded in more core. They define how I feel and who I am.
I must not forget them. It can happen. I should repeat them to my children like the great stories we always share. This is much more important than the first joke that they told me.
Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them. Deuteronomy 4:9
- Not Because Of Israel’s Righteousness Or Integrity (Deuteronomy 9) (refreshmyheartinchrist.wordpress.com)
- Deuteronomy 32 – Reading Note – What we learn about God from Moses’ song (ferlans.wordpress.com)
- Deuteronomy 28:7. God will defeat your enemies (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Bless the Lord, o my soul (truthorshame.com)
God’s life is not for the faint of heart. It is vigorous. It requires focus. His Spirit is the power to make it happen.
The way to life—to God!—is vigorous and requires total attention. ~~Jesus (Matthew 7:14)
- Wherever. Whenever. Whatever. (twentytwo30.wordpress.com)
- The Wide and Narrow Roads (bpsfuelforthought.wordpress.com)
- Daily Dose of Inspiration – August 13 (deenaroseministries.wordpress.com)
- “Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don’t get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow.” ~~Jesus (mww1954.wordpress.com)